Aug 23rd, 2016 by writerandcritic
It's Patron's Choice this month on The Writer and the Critic where your hosts, Kirstyn McDermott and Ian Mond, spend the episode discussing two books as voted on by their lovely supporters on Patreon. But first, they quickly go through the list of other nominated titles that were pipped at the post:
- The Dead Lake by Hamid Ismailov
- Borderline by Mishell Baker
- Defying Doomsday edited by Tsana Dolichva and Holly Kench
- Heat and Light by Ellen Van Neervan
- Arms Race by Nic Low
- Planetfall by Emma Newman
- The Testimony by James Smythe
- Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A. S. King
- Affinity by Sarah Waters
The discussion then moves on to the two books that garnered the most votes: Quicksand House by Carlton Mellick III [5:50] and A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay [45:00]. This review of Quicksand House was mentioned in passing.
If you've skipped ahead to avoid spoilers, please come back at 1:27:30 for some brief final remarks. Next month, the theme will be First Read/Re-Read, where Kirstyn and Ian each select a book they have read and loved a long, long time ago but which the other has never read before. The two novels up for discussion will be:
- Savage Season by Joe R. Lansdale - chosen by Ian
- The Pillow Friend by Lisa Tuttle - chosen by Kirstyn
Read ahead and join in the spoilerific fun!